Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Trinity Sunday

Trinity Sunday is a fitting ending for the first half of the church year, during which we celebrate God's saving acts in history through Jesus Christ, from the promise of his coming (Advent) to his ascension and the pouring out of the Spirit (Pentecost). Trinity Sunday steps back from the historical focus of these liturgical seasons and fixes our attention theologically on the Triune God, who has brought us redemption.

Bach's cantata 129, "Gelobet sei der Herr, mein Gott," is pure celebration of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Here is the text.

Praised be the Lord,
my God, my light, my life,
my creator, who has given to me
my body and soul,
my father, who protects me
from my mother's womb,
who at every moment
has done much good for me.

Praised be the Lord,
my God, my salvation, my life,
the Father's dearest son
who gave himself for me,
who has redeemed me
with his precious blood,
who in faith bestows on me
his very self, the greatest good.

Praised be the Lord,
my God, my consolation, my life,
the Father's worthy spirit,
whom his son gave to me,
who quickens my heart,
who gives me new strength,
who in all my need
provides counsel, comfort and help.

Praised be the Lord
my God who lives for ever
whom all things praise that soar in all the breezes;
praised be the Lord
whose name is called holy,
God the Father, God the Son
and God the Holy Spirit.

To him we now "Holy"
with joy make resound
and with the angelic host
sing "Holy, holy",
who is sincerely praised and glorified
by all of Christendom:
praised be my God
in all eternity.

No comments: